Thursday, November 1, 2007

Are you ready?

Watch video...

This video (hope you watched it) brings back a lot of memories for me. It reminds me of end-times films I watched as a kid. I can still see the flickering images on the church’s rickety three-legged Da-Lite screen. I can hear the whirring and clacking of the run down Eiki projector. My heart still races when I bring to mind the story of a condemned Christian holding onto his faith as he stepped up to the guillotine.

I wondered then, I wonder now, could I be so brave? My emotions get all mixed up when I chew on this dilemma for any length of time. Fear. Passion. Sorrow. Joy.

I know in my head that God would give the strength I’d need to face a martyr’s end. My heart just lags a bit behind, reluctant to embrace the thought of my demise.

Violent death. Painful torture. Cruelty.

Would I fair as well as I want to when faced with these now seemingly awful fates?

I prayed about that this week, talked with my Father in heaven. Almost immediately, my eyes just closed, Jesus’ words came to mind.

“I tell you, my friends, do not be afraid of those who kill the body and after that can do no more. But I will show you whom you should fear: Fear him who, after the killing of the body, has power to throw you into hell. Yes, I tell you, fear him.” (Luke 12:4-5, NIV)

Those words brought me back to reality. What’s best is not what’s here. What’s best is what’s to come. And so I chose again to follow the one who “after the killing of the body” – to state it more positively” – has the power to” deliver me safe into heaven. That’s who I’ll fear. That’s who I’ll follow – to the death if need be.

No comments: