Thursday, March 27, 2008

The return...

A sense of God’s calling returned today…finally. Back in September and early October before I started my EMT training course, I often got teary as I told people, “This feels like as much a calling from God as my call to be a pastor did twenty-some years ago.”

Somewhere in the five months of classes, the feeling of joy and purpose disappeared. Perhaps it was just that I was dead tired all the time. Maybe it was the many frustrations of class itself. (No offense to anyone. We all got frustrated with each other from time to time.) I don’t know for sure what it was. I just know that for the final two or three months of lecture and lab, I had to grit my teeth and hang on for dear life. I had to keep reminding myself, “I didn’t get into this to enjoy the class. I got into this to become and EMT.”

This morning, less than 24 hours after learning I’d passed my final certification class, I stepped into the EMS building to check on the ambulance and as I reached for the cord that powers the recharging of all our portable equipment the rush of God’s Spirit’s calling I’d felt at first, settled on me. While I know that I cannot base my knowledge of God and His will on feelings, it’s nice to experience his joy in me once in awhile.

Have you sensed God’s pleasure in you and your work recently? He loves what you do and the influence you exert in your workplace. And he’s your boss…your real boss. He’ll reward you for your hard work.

Hear His word to you…

“Slaves, obey your earthly masters in everything; and do it, not only when their eye is on you and to win their favor, but with sincerity of heart and reverence for the Lord. Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.” (Colossians 3:23-24, NIV)

God bless you as you serve Him in your homes and offices and factories and classrooms and restaurants and…

No comments: