Tuesday, April 16, 2013

The ides of April...

Yesterday when I tweeted, "Beware the ides of April," I was thinking about taxes, not the Boston Marathon. I never imagined that I would click around later in the day and see smoke billowing from the buildings near the famous race's finish line. I couldn't have dreamed up the images of collapsed and wounded bodies.

I ran angry this morning. Really angry. My pace doesn't show it. My pace was actually over a minute per mile slower than my last run's. The crazy squiggly lines at the beginning of my run are the only evidence of the ire in my heart. I thought a lot about the cowardly act as I ran this way and that. Then, when I got back to near where I'd begun, an idea struck me. I would run to honor the fallen. The end result can be seen in my GPS map. The mess of angry zigzagging now resembles the smoke from the bombing.

God bless those who have lost loved ones, those who have lost limbs, those who are traumatized. God help those who carried out the bombing.

4 comments:

Qaptain Qwerty said...

Great minds think alike, I ran a "BOSTON" route this morning, http://www.qaptainqwerty.com/2013/04/boston-between-us.html . I've been experimenting with gwriting, as I call it, so I started out today with the purpose of doing just that, for Boston.

Unknown said...

I saw your post on the Run Junkees event. Loved it!

Unknown said...

I also draw pictures of things. It all started with a simple scottie dog a few years ago when I was living in another town. I've drawn all sorts of things since then from an ibis to a stegosaurus to a pistol.

Unknown said...

I decided there must be others out there who do g-writing and g-art, so I formed a Facebook group this morning. I'd love it if you'd join. https://www.facebook.com/groups/gwriting