Thursday, March 1, 2007

How far is too far?

When I was in high school in the early 80s, one of the favorite questions kids in our youth group had for the leaders when it came to the topic of sex was, "How far can I go?" A natural question for teens whose hormones are raging, I’ll admit, but a crazy question nonetheless. At least for Christian teens it is.

Asking "How far can I go?" is like asking your Home Ec teacher in the kitchen, "How close to the burner should I put my hand? An inch? A half-inch? Can I touch it? For how long?" Crazy talk.

Now, I don’t remember how our youth leaders answered those "how-far" questions way back when, but I have an answer for those who are single today. Take a look at Ephesians 5:3. "But among you among you there must not be even a hint of sexual immorality, or of any kind of impurity, or of greed, because these are improper for God’s holy people." (NIV)

Based on that verse, here’s my answer to any single, young or older, who’s dating: Do not take any action in public or in private that would even hint at sin. Don’t sit in the high school parking lot steaming up the windows of your daddy’s car. Don’t invite your girlfriend into your home when your parents are away. Don’t wear provocative clothing that suggests you’re open to going as far as the law allows. Don’t go on a 7-day, 6-night Caribbean cruise with your fiancĂ©.

The right question for those who are trying to follow Jesus is not "How far can I go?" That’s a sin-oriented question. The right question for the believer is "How can I keep myself pure for my future spouse?" That’s a God-honoring question.

Do you want to sin or do you want to remain pure? Let your questions reflect your deepest desire. "May God be glorified in me!"

To receive my once or twice weekly message via email and join the "webmessage" discussion group, send a blank email to
webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages (there are well over 100) are available at www.associate.com/groups/webmessage.

No comments: