Thursday, March 1, 2007

How far...

This was a friend's response to How far is too far?

Oh, that question really brings back memories of 58 years ago in 1949.

When Janet and I were first dating we rode the bus to a YFC meeting at the YMCA in downtown Wichita. On checking the return bus schedule we would have to wait a 1/2 hour or so. So we decided to walk home to our residences on University Street.

As we crossed the Arkansas River bridge on Douglas, I slowly searched for her hand to hold and it kept moving away, so I asked, "OK, what's the deal?" She responded, "My three roommates and I decided holding hands was where intimacy started so we decided to not hold hands until we had found the one we wanted to marry. I told her that was all right with me.

Months later, my feelings for her were very strong and we rode to Northend Friends on North Waco with a friend. After everyone got out of the car I told her that I was in love with her and that she could think about it and let me know how she felt later. After church our friend told us he had a ride and we could have the car. We drove up to Riverside Park and found a nice isolated place and parked. Janet told me that she felt she loved me as well. I then I asked if I could hold her hand and she responded, "Oh, I guess so."

A few months later there was to be a pastors conference at Janet's roommate's church, Cherokee Friends, and my roommate was dating her. They decided to go visit and wondered if Janet and I would like to go with them and stay at her folks' place. It was a fun trip and as we returned and turned west on University from Seneca toward Friends University I asked her if I could kiss her. She agreed. Wow, that first kiss!

From there our relationship got real serious. I told her about God's calling on my life. I had felt that someday I might be called to mission work and asked her if she would be willing to go any where I might be called. She agreed so I gave her the ring I'd purchased.

Wow, that changed the intensity of our relationship and the temptations to be more intimate were really strong. Since we lived around the corner from each other in private homes and always ended up coming down University together after the library closed, it was hard to pull away and part. So we asked Delbert Vaughn if he would marry us. I think he was concerned that our relationship might get out of hand! He arranged for the wedding at his sister's on North Green St. His wife baked the cake. I tried to pay him but since we were the first couple he married he gave me $5!

That was 57 years ago January 28th. Our rules of never going to bed with a difference unsettled and touching each other (lovingly, of course!) at least 8 times a day has continued till this day and we have enjoyed a special intimacy all these years.

Oh, if the kids today could only grasp the special blessing of waiting to be intimate until they have made a lifetime commitment. Oh, the temptation is powerful, I know! It is so important to really get to know someone before letting the physical carry you away.

Guest Blogger, Lyle

No comments: