Thursday, November 20, 2008

95% is a lot...

Vic Mitchell, a friend who works for The Voice of the Martyrs, came to speak to our youth groups last night. His presentation on the persecuted church was wonderful and awful. I cried silently for a fellow pastor in China. I hurt for "Pencil" who starved to death rather than stop preaching the good news in prison. My heart ached for Sarah as she was kidnapped then beaten. At the same time, my spirit soared. These men and women showed me what faithfulness looked like.

This morning, I pulled on the "Pray for China" prayer band that Vic gave me last night. I've prayed for my brave brothers and sisters numerous times as the band has flopped around on my skinny wrist, it's touch reminding me to cry out to God. This silver LiveStrong knock off is doing it's job.

A believing friend asked me about the Chinese characters on the band this afternoon. I told her about our beaten and battered relatives in Christ. I told her that 95% of the world's Christians have little or no freedom to worship as they please.

"So we're only 5% of the church," she said.

"Yep," I affirmed. "We in the West are only 5%."

Only 5% of the church can publicly proclaim the good news. Only 5% can meet together on Sunday morning without fear. Only 5% do not suffer grave consequences when they choose Jesus.

Pray for the persecuted church.

No comments: