Thursday, October 8, 2009

A word to teens from a teen in my town...

This is a what a high schooler in my town had to say to her fellow Christians during their weekly Bible Study this week...

Alright, so you won’t write dork on your forehead because everyone else is doing it, but when everyone else is drinking, you’ll join right in right? When everyone is talking about that girl and what she did with that guy this weekend, you’ll jump right in right? I mean, come on guys, everyone else is doing it so we should just jump right on the wagon and be just like them because then we won’t get laughed at by the “cool kids” right? So why don’t we just pick up these markers and write dork right across our foreheads. All the cool kids are doing it. Still no takers? Man, you guys must not follow the crowd because I’m pretty sure just last week some of you guys were cussing up a storm in the locker room because “everyone was doing it” You were even cussing in the church. Everyone says the cuss words, so you think you should to because it makes you fit in and sound “cool” . Well, if cuss words, partying, drinking, and gossiping make you “cool” then it’s time that we set new standards. Why is it that it’s so easy to drink and party and cuss and gossip but it’s so hard to pray at lunch, or go to church, or go up to some random person in the hallway and say hey, Jesus loves you? Why is it so hard to go up to someone and tell them how God has blessed your life. Look, now all of you are looking at me like I’m crazy, you’re all thinking “oh my gosh, if I did that to someone, they would look at me funny and think that I’m on something! I’m not going to do that, she’s crazy” but why is it like that?! We are the future whether you think that or not. We are the group of kids that people look up to and follow. We are the kids that could make a difference not only in this high school, or this town, but this whole world. Don’t look at me like I’m crazy, I’m being serious. If we show that it’s okay to be completely in love with God, that it’s okay to be different and that the things that seem to be cool are completely wrong, they will follow what WE do and realize that what others do is wrong. It’s time for us, this group right here to be the positive change in our school and start living for the right thing. Quit sitting off to the side wishing things were better than what they are and get up and actually do something about it. It’s time for Argonia High School to change and that’s not going to happen unless we start making changes ourselves.

No comments: