Thursday, June 10, 2010

riding in a sauna

sweat is pouring off of me as i write today. it's only 69 degrees out, but pair that temp with the 98% relative humidity and you've got the perfect formula for cleansing the pores. if it was warmer, i'd have expected to see men sitting in towels by the side of the road pouring water on the gravel to increase the steam.

my ride wasn't filled with a great deal of excitement. it was dark when i started out. the overcast sky blocked out any moonlight or starlight that might have lit my path, so i was completely dependent on my headlamp to see what was coming my way. what was coming my way way pavement, mile after mile of asphalt.

i decided at ten miles out that i had time to go for another couple miles before turning around. when i got to that point, i dove south into mayfield, adding another mile or so to the round trip.

the trip back was a bit better than the outbound journey. the light wind was at my back and i could see without my light. about ten miles out, i switched over to strobe so people coming toward me would notice me. between the flashing of my light and my brand new screaming yellow (their words, not mine) pearl izumi jersey, i didn't expect a repeat of "didn't see ya...almost hit ya" this morning.

i got back to the turn off to home with time to spare, so i rode on to blackstone road before turning to race back to the house. it was nice to get a bit longer ride in today since the weather and other commitments kept me from riding yesterday. (28.17 miles @ 18.1mph)

No comments: