Friday, February 2, 2007

Heavenly haiku...

"Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known." (1 Corinthians 13:12)

What is Jesus like?
I see him now - fuzzy, blurred.
I will see clearly.

So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal." (2 Corinthians 4:18)

Eyes see little here.
Lasting things are beyond them.
Look with your spirit.

"Now we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands." (2 Corinthians 5:1)

Take down the tent, Lord -
As soon as you are ready,
You can take me home.

"I pray also that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened in order that you may know the hope to which he has called you, the riches of his glorious inheritance in the saints, and his incomparably great power for us who believe." (Ephesians 1:18-19)

Wake up and look, saint!
You've been called to know hope now!
Your riches are nigh.

"One thing I do: Forgetting what is behind and straining toward what is ahead, I press on toward the goal to win the prize for which God has called me heavenward in Christ Jesus." (Philippians 3:13-14)

What's in my past - done.
I'm running to reach the goal.
The finish line calls.

"The Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever." (1 Thessalonians 4:16-17)

Do you hear the horn?
God's bugler is warming up.
Dead man! Wait! Hear! Rise!

"The Lord will rescue me from every evil attack and will bring me safely to his heavenly kingdom. To him be glory for ever and ever. Amen." (2 Timothy 4:18)

I will be rescued.
You may not see it at all.
When death comes, I'm safe.


"In his great mercy he has given us new birth into a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and into an inheritance that can never perish, spoil or fade—kept in heaven for you. (1 Peter 1:3-4)

They're kept in heaven.
Nothing can harm my riches.
I'm an heir of God.


"Jesus Christ...has gone into heaven and is at God's right hand—with angels, authorities and powers in submission to him." (1 Peter 3:21-22)

At his Father's right,
Power unthinkable his.
All in submission.


"...the twenty-four elders fall down before him who sits on the throne, and worship him who lives for ever and ever. They lay their crowns before the throne..." (Revelation 4:10)

Crowns thrown to the ground.
Worthless head gear is made naught.
God alone is King.


"I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and on the sea, and all that is in them, singing: "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be praise and honor and glory and power, for ever and ever!' The four living creatures said, 'Amen,' and the elders fell down and worshiped." (Revelation 5:13-14)

Every creature bows.
Not one stands before the Lamb.
Sing they all - face down.


"...there were loud voices in heaven, which said: 'The kingdom of the world has become the kingdom of our Lord and of his Christ, and he will reign for ever and ever.'" (Revelation 11:15)

Eternal ruler,
Conquering earth at long last.
Jesus is in charge.


"I heard a sound from heaven like the roar of rushing waters and like a loud peal of thunder. The sound I heard was like that of harpists playing their harps. And they sang a new song before the throne..." (Revelation 14:2-3)

My voice warms up here.
It grows weary much too fast.
Lasting praise...can't wait!


"[God] will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." (Revelation 21:4)

You cannot weep here.
Nothing at all can harm you.
Tears are no more - gone.

No comments: