Thursday, May 10, 2007

A card-carrying leader?

Ran across this in Indiana Yearly Meeting's most recent newsletter...

An arrogant Department of Agriculture (DOA) representative stopped at a farm telling the old farmer, "I need to inspect your farm." The old farmer said, "You better not go in that field." The Agricultural representative said in a wise tone, "I have the authority of the U.S. Government with me. See this card? I am allowed to go wherever I wish on agricultural land." So the old farmer went about his farm chores.Later, the farmer heard loud screams. He saw the DOA rep running for the fence, and close behind was the farmer's prize bull. The bull was madder than a nest full of hornets and was gaining at every step. The old farmer called out: "Show him your card!"

I smile at this story, and then I hurt, because this too often describes how we do things in the church. I call it the Barney Fife leadership style. Somewhere we received a badge, or a card, or an appointment to some position in the church, and mistakenly believe that we have more authority than we really do.

Jesus, on the other hand, didn’t carry a card. He had no earthly credentials, yet the crowds were amazed by the authority out of which He lived and taught. If you are reading this you may be in a leadership role in the church. When members of your church look to you do they see a card-waving DOA rep, or do they see Jesus?

Guest Blogger, Doug

No comments: