Sunday, May 6, 2007

Names...

Dee. Tom. Ron. Kaye. Jeff. Marjorie. Steve. Ed. Connie. Roger. Tim. Brandon. Brady. Jayne. Deloris.

These are the names of real people, suffering real loss. Some I know. Some I don’t. These are the names of people mentioned in phone calls and emails I received yesterday, people brought up in conversations I’ve had today. These are the names of people who lost their homes, their belongings, their church buildings, their businesses to tornadoes this weekend. Most are from Greensburg, Kansas. A few are from Macksville, Kansas. Tim, the last I heard, was in critical condition in a hospital somewhere. The rest were, at last report, okay…physically.

I wonder how they’re doing mentally, emotionally. And how are they spiritually? I can’t answer these questions. I haven’t talked with a single one of these folks. I’ve only talked with or heard from their families, their friends. Still, my heart goes out to them. I feel something I can’t explain. Deep sorrow. I don’t know how else to describe what I’m experiencing. Maybe it’s God’s heart breaking for these folks and the rest of their devastated communities. Can’t be sure. All I know is that this anguish pushes me to pray for Dee and Tom and Ron and Kaye and Jeff and Marjorie and Steve and Ed and Connie and Roger and Tim and Brandon and Brady and Jayne and Deloris.

“May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.” (Romans 15:13)

No comments: