Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sleestaks outlawed...

I watched way too much TV as a child. I was a junkie. The amount of time I spent in front of the tube would make a normal person jittery, easily distracted, forgetful…

What was I saying?

Oh yeah, I was a TV addict. I watched whatever was on.


Shows I wanted to watch – Adam 12, The Partridge Family, Emergency, CHIPs, The Muppet Show, Charlie’s Angels, Hee Haw, Hawaii 5-0, The Wonderful World of Disney, Bonanza, The Waltons, The Six-Million Dollar Man, The Rockford Files, The Bionic Woman, Sanford and Son, The Super Friends.

Shows I cared nothing for – Lawrence Welk. “Good night, sleep tight and pleasant dreams to you. Here’s a wish and a prayer that every dream comes true. And now until we meet again…Adios, au revior, auf weidersehen.....Good Night!”

Scary, huh?

You want to know something funny? What I remember most clearly from my childhood is not all the good, fun shows I could view. What I remember best is the show my parents wouldn’t let me watch. To this day my blood boils when I think of what I missed because of my overprotective parents. Oh, the injustice! Oh, the tyranny! I never got to watch “The Land of the Lost” on Saturday mornings! Well…at least not an entire episode. There were the furtive glances with the volume turned way down. Never could quite figure out what was going on. Were the Sleestaks good guys or bad guys? Could they talk? Never mind. I don’t need to know.

We all tend to want what we cannot have – what’s denied us, that which is considered taboo. And we tend to be angry at those who set the limits we push against. But what if the people in charge have our best interest in mind? I know my parents did.

Perhaps the God-created rules you and I don’t like are made for our good.

No comments: