Saturday, August 23, 2008

1000 miles...

Finally! I passed the 1000 mile mark on my bike today. I should be well over 2000, but that was not to be. I have not had the time to ride that I have had in the past. Being on call for EMS and trying not to take family time have limited days free to ride.

Still, I'm riding well (for me). This week was a great one. In six days, I rode 101 miles at 18.4mph. I had one day at 19.0mph. Every day I averaged 18.0mph or more.

The 22 miles at 18.1mph I managed today was hard work. I left home under a clear sky. The breeze out of the east was light. It was 70 degrees. Beautiful! Over the first four miles the sky began to darken and by six miles the wind had picked up considerably. I turned around at 7 miles to see if I could get back to the breeze before the front passed through town. I rode back eight, passing through town, then turned to run back four to reach my 22 mile goal. (I needed 22 to make 100 for the week.) The four miles into the wind saw my average drop 0.5mph. When I turned for the final three miles, I knew I would have my work cut out for me working back up to 18.0mph. Turned out the wind made it fairly easy. I had more than a mile to go when I snuck back up to my goal speed and then about 0.75 miles out I got the bonus tenth per hour.

Fun! Can't wait for next Friday. My brother-in-law, my nephew and I plan to ride our annual century.

No comments: