Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Hate the sin; love the sinner...

“Hate the sin; love the sinner.”

I’ve heard that phrase a dozen or more times in my life. I’ve said it a few times too. It’s kind of catchy – an easy way to remember an important truth. It says, loud and clear, in our denouncing of sin, we need to remain gracious. We need to show compassion toward fellow human beings caught in sin’s trap.

What we need to do is not always what we do.

Hating sin. We do that well enough. Hating sin is easy. Sin damages things. It causes problems for us and our friends. What’s not to hate?

Loving sinners. That’s another story. I love people who are nice to me, who treat me kindly. I’m not so sure about those who cause problems for me. Those who sin against me. What’s to love?

A lot evidently – at least as far as God is concerned.

“For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him. Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because he has not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.” (John 3:16-18, NIV)

God loved all us sinners enough to send Jesus to die in our place. He sent Jesus so that we could escape condemnation. All he asks of us in return is belief in his Son. If you believe, you won’t die. If I believe, I’ll have eternal life.

God hates sin, but loves the sinner. He does both perfectly. Completely detesting sin. Wholeheartedly loving sinner.

Aren’t you glad he’s so good at both? His holiness without grace would be unbearable. We’d be without hope. Life would end damned if we do, damned if we don’t. His love without his holiness would be less amazing. We’d be without restraint. Life would be filled entirely with pain and sorrow.

I am grateful that God hates my sin, but loves me. I am grateful that he corrects me when I stray. I am grateful that he rebukes me so I can repent. I’m grateful that he calls me his own despite my many failures. I’m grateful for that now. I will be grateful for that forever.

To receive my once or twice weekly message via email, send a blank email to webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages are available at freegroups.net/groups/webmessage.

No comments: