Thursday, May 28, 2009

He was over forty years old...

"For the man who was miraculously healed was over forty years old." (Acts 4:22, NIV)

This is not the usual kind of verse that inspires worship or brings encouragement, but this morning the Holy Spirit used it in my life to bless. Since I'm slightly over forty, forty-two to be exact, I stopped and thought about what it would be like to just now be able to walk. What if my whole life to this point had been filled with immobility? What if my only option, like this man's, was to sit an beg for money and food? What kind of joy would flood my heart? You can bet I'd be leaping and dancing and praising God just like this guy did. (That was in Acts 3.)

As I was pondering these questions, I realized that I know what it's like to find freedom after years of lameness. I struggled in bondage for nearly a decade because of what one man did to me in junior high and high school. I was tied up in knots of anger and resentment and hatred and shame because I couldn't forgive him for hurting me. Then one day I made a choice. I decided I could forgive - not because I wanted to, but because Jesus wanted me to. So I let the past sins against me go.

The transformation that came over my heart in the next few years was miraculous. The old pain disappeared and joy returned to my heart. My relationships grew stronger as I learned to trust again. I no longer had to fear closeness with others.

Today I once again choose Jesus. I choose his ways. I choose forgiveness. I choose to "walk" in freedom!

No comments: