Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Levi down, but not out...

Wow! I missed a day or two of watching the Giro while staying with my in-laws in dial up land and things got flipped all around. Levi Leipheimer was in third place 43 seconds behind the race leader the last time I knew and now he's in sixth place down three minutes and 21 seconds. I haven't gone back and watched the recap, but there must've been some incredible riding going on Sunday. I'm still rooting for the American, but it'll be an amazing feat if he can pull back and make the podium, let alone win.

General classification after stage 16

1 Denis Menchov (Rus) Rabobank - 70.06.30
2 Danilo Di Luca (Ita) LPR Brakes-Farnese Vini (-0.39)
3 Carlos Sastre (Spa) Cervelo Test Team (-2.19)
4 Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Liquigas (-3.08)
5 Ivan Basso (Ita) Liquigas - (-3.19)
6 Levi Leipheimer (USA) Astana (-3.21)
7 Michael Rogers (Aus) Team Columbia - Highroad (-5.54)
8 Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Acqua & Sapone - Caffe Mokambo (-8.24)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Levi to gain some time... possible, not likely.

Levi to win the giro... NO WAY! nearly impossible the way he's been riding the past 2 mt stages.

It's sad that Americans always blindly think an American cyclist will win the grand tour. Well, hoping is one thing... thinking can sometimes be ridiculous given the facts.

I'm rooting for Basso. Do I think he'll win at this point? not at all possible. Do I want him to win, absolutely!