Thursday, June 4, 2009

A new personal best...

It was just over a week ago when I broke the 19mph barrier for the first time this year. Oh what a week and a still (for windy Kansas) night can do. This evening from the time I left my driveway, I knew it was going to be special. With little effort, I was up over 20mph and flying toward the highway. When I turned east into the wind, my speed backed off a bit and I settled into a fast cadence, powering over the slight inclines along the way to my turn around seven and half miles out.

As I spun around for the return trip, my computer read 18.9mph. I cranked up the speed and in less than a half mile I was up over 19mph. It was then that I knew I was going to have a personal best for the year. I was able to ride over 20mph almost the whole way back home. It got dark enough that I couldn't read my average, so I wasn't sure where I stood until I pulled into the driveway and opened the garage door. 20.1mph! That's what the computer said and it doesn't lie just to make you feel good. 15.37 miles in 45 minutes and 55 seconds! Awesome!

This is my second fastest ride average ever. Once before I rode solo at 21mph, but I don't really count that ride as a real record. I had a friend drive me 20 miles away from home and I had the wind at my back the entire time.

No comments: