Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What a difference a few miles makes...

My middle daughter drove me north about 30 miles last night to the fair city of Cheney. We were going there to pick up my niece so she could spend the night and ride with us to camp today. As an added bonus, we were picking her up at my nephew's little league game, so we got to watch him.

I must say, I enjoyed the game immensely. The players were (fairly) respectful of the umpire's calls. The fans in the stands cheered for their players AND the opposing team. They actually yelled, "Good play!" when the "enemy's" first baseman made an amazing catch on a hard hit ball and tagged out the runner who had left the base sure to make it to third if not home. It was refreshing.

You see, in Argonia fans would never dream of cheering an opponent's incredible double play. Raider supporters hardly know how to root for their own kids. They're too busy yelling threats at the umpire and griping about coaches to shout, "Good job!"

Maybe we should bring a few Cheney fans down to teach a sporstmanship clinic. Maybe a few of us should scream wildly when anyone, home or visitor, does something right on the field at a home game. I'm willing to give it a try. How about you?

No comments: