Friday, August 8, 2008

Newbies on call...

I've been keenly aware of the pager on my left hip today. Not that I'm not regularly aware of it. EMTs with rural services go for days on end with nothing and then our beltline companion shrieks and we jump into action. Makes us kind of jumpy. City guys who get called out every hour on the hour have no idea what it's like.

Today is different. I am one of only three people in town wearing an EMS pager. Not only that, but all three of us are newbies - classmates through the middle of March and recently certified.

I spent most of the past week worrying about the twelve hours of this day I'd be one of three. I didn't sleep all that well last night.

About noon today - maybe it was after lunch - I found peace. I remembered that God is in charge of this situation and that, with his help, we can handle whatever - if anything - comes our way. I wish I was quicker to recall such good news.

No comments: