Sunday, June 21, 2009

Reflecting on Father's Day...

Every once in awhile I stumble into the bathroom in the morning, flip on the light, glance in the mirror and jump back.

“Dad! What are you doing up so early? And why are you in my bathroom? Get out!”

Of course, my dad’s really hundreds of miles away, but there he is, staring back at me. Gives me the willies. I’m too young to look like him. Funny thing, though, dad looks like grandpa now.

The old saying, “Like father, like son,” is true and not only in the area of looks. I talk like my dad. I joke like my dad. I think like my dad. I walk like my dad. I scream and shout about being late like my dad. (I’m working on that one. Another couple of years in therapy and I’ll be just fine.)

There’s no denying it. I can’t hide the facts. I am Charles Neifert’s son.

Most men, young or old, are just as much a reflection of their dads as I am of mine. That’s a good thing generally. The average man is a decent enough example for his boys to follow. He’s not a psychopathic killer nor a pathological liar. He’s a hard working, respectable guy.

There are exceptions, I know. A few men train their sons for a life of crime or addiction. They do so by absence or by example or by abuse. But men like this are NOT the norm.

The normal man is not perfect, not by a long shot, but he is good and kind most of the time just like his dad was.

Think of your dad, guys. You’re like him, aren’t you? Sure you’re different in some ways, but similar in so many more. You generally act like him, sort of look like him, mostly talk like him, sometimes smell like him. I hope you’re mostly grateful for these similarities. I hope your dad’s influence on your life has been a positive, godly one. If it has been, I know you’re glad to obey God’s command and honor him today.

Happy Father’s Day to all!

To receive my once or twice weekly message via email, send a blank email to webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages are available at freegroups.net/groups/webmessage.

No comments: