Monday, November 22, 2010

t-k-o!

most people look at the red glow of their alarm clock at 4:30 in the morning and roll over. not me. i jump out of bed! "more miles!" i exclaim excitedly. that is, of course, an internal shout of joy. if i yelled out loud, my pleasure would be dampened by my wife's cross words. "michael!" i'm in trouble when she calls me that. "i'm trying to sleep!" since i prefer sleeping in my own bed even if i only get about 1/8th of the space, i do not even whisper a word until after the sun comes up. life is better that way.

so quietly, with delight in my soul, i slipped out of bed and went to look at the outdoor temperature. when i saw 56 degrees, i nearly squealed. this would be my warmest ride in weeks!

i dressed much more quickly than what had become the norm recently and was out the door just before 5:00. i rolled easily up pine street and turned west on the highway. that's when the wind hit me full in the face. it actually blew the air i was trying to exhale back into my lungs! i dipped my head so i could get the CO2 out. that task accomplished, i punched back. the power of my God-given quads versus the resistance of a God-created gale.

the wind had the upper hand for the first thirteen miles or so. it battered my body and got into my head. "you can't make it!" it howled. "turn back! give up!"

with a low growl, i gave my reply, "never!" i pushed back even harder, staying low to avoid a roundhouse to the head.

then i turned around and round one ended. the wind let out a sigh and backed into its corner of the ring. i'd won round one with 26.09 miles. not quite a knock out, but my nemesis was reeling.

round two began after breakfast. i had enough time to ride out six or seven miles and make it back before work. once again, my foe fought me tooth and nail. once again i found the energy to fight back and not give up. i made it out to the base of l'alpe d'anville and then turned around. the battle was over - a technical knock out in less than 30 miles. my hand raised in victory, i rode home. my final tally - 40.19 miles. (40.19 miles @ 15.9mph)

No comments: