Monday, October 24, 2011

4.48 miles in 47:48

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123987116

usually on monday morning my legs feel fresh and ready to go, but there was no "pop" in my legs today as i warmed up. they felt tight and grumpy as i headed to the track for speedwork. i didn't think i was going to make it to the end of this mile and was surprised that it ended up under 9:00 pace. glad my legs don't usually feel like this.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123987119

hal's plan for this week began with speedwork at the track - six 400m repeats to be exact. after a horrible warm up, i was sure this was going to be a miserable experience. it would take me two minutes to run a lap. ugh!

the actual versus the imagined was night and day different. i felt really good while i was running the sprints. i ran them in 1:27, 1:26, 1:26, 1:24, 1:29 and 1:30. these times were consistent with my times the last time i did 400m repeats. averaging this workout against september's gave me a 1.5 second improvement. yeah, i'm a numbers geek!

i was really tired between sprints, but somehow managed to pull each of these off without much trouble. it's interesting that i feel like i'm in high school again when i run a 400m dash. that was my race back in the day. my mind remembers how to do this. too bad my body can't still do the "quarter" in less than a minute. that'd be fun...until i keeled over.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/123987123

i walked for a while after my final 400m sprint. i stopped and gasped for air, bent over with my hands on my knees for a bit, too. the exertion had done me in. after my heartrate was back down in the 120s, i ran back home slooooowly to cool down. i didn't even try to keep it sub-9:00 this time. i didn't care. i just wanted to get home without dying. i did. that is all.

No comments: