Thursday, August 9, 2012

Beating the skinny kid again...

One of the first things I do every morning when I get up is look at the temperature. This morning it was 68 degrees. The second thing I do during the summer, if I think of it, is check the relative humidity. Today it was 72%. I do both so I know what to put on for my run. Today I wore compression shorts, shorts, short socks and shoes. Anything more and the humidity would kill me.

I started out planning to run 55 minutes. That meant 27 or 28 minutes out and the same coming back. My goal for that 55 minutes was at least 10K. After yesterday's slowfest, I knew I needed to pick up the pace a bit, so I started out faster than normal. I was running just over 8:00 pace for the first couple miles before settling into a slightly less demanding 8:15.

Just before I'd left the house, my wife had wondered out loud what traffic was like out toward the school. I decided to go scout it out for her. I ran on the sidewalks along Highway 54 until they ran out and then ran on the wide shoulder. The construction work hadn't started when I ran out to the school. The workers were setting up cones as I ran back into town.

I'm really pleased with my time and pace overall. I quit at 10K even though I hadn't hit 55 minutes. I wanted to save the 10K time since it is one of my best and much faster than the skinny kid I set out to beat when I first started running. (garmin data)

No comments: