Tuesday, January 23, 2007

But I want to see Jesus...

I've been thinking a lot about heaven recently. It's not because I'm especially old and think my visit to the pearly gates is just around the corner. It could be sooner than I expect, but I'm not thinking about my trip home because age is statistically ready to do me in. I'd guess I have a few decades left here. Four or five maybe.

To be honest, I'm not sure why I've been turning my mind heavenward. I could say it was Ted Dekker's book, The Slumber of Christianity, which I finished last week and which encouraged me in my passion for the afterlife, but I was thinking about glory before that. I've been thinking about paradise for months. And the most prominent thought in my mind has been this: I want to see Jesus.

Lots of people, especially those folks with higher mileage, tell me they can't wait to get to heaven and see their loved ones again. They long to interact with their parents, their spouse, a child they lost. I think of my grandparents as I write this. It'll be great to see them and thank them for the godly example they set in their homes. It was their influence that made my mom and dad the great followers of Jesus they are and they in turn pushed me toward passionate kingdom living. I'll love to see Leroy and Elva and MoMo and spend an eon or two with them, but, quite frankly, given the choice, I'd rather see Jesus.

Jesus is the one who died for me. He's the one who called me. I know him as healer, Lord, guide, friend. I want to see him. He's what I'm hoping for and longing for and looking for. Heaven will be great if only I can see him and be loved by him.


What are you dreaming of? Who do you desire? I urge you. Want Jesus more than anything or anyone else. Want him and his will for your life and heaven will be better than you imagine.

To receive my once or twice weekly message via email and join the "webmessage" discussion group, send a blank email to webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages (there are well over 100) are available at www.associate.com/groups/webmessage.

No comments: