Thursday, January 25, 2007

The perfect, sweetest, broken place to be...

Sweetly Broken
by Jeremy Riddle

To the cross I look,
to the cross I cling
Of it’s suffering I do drink
Of it’s work I do sing

For on it my Savior,
both bruised and crushed
Showed that God is love
And God is just

At the cross You beckon me
You draw me gently to my knees, and I am
Lost for words, so lost in love,
I’m sweetly broken, wholly surrendered

What a priceless gift,
undeserved life
Have I been given
Through Christ crucified

You’ve called me out of death
You’ve called me into life
And I was under Your wrath
Now through the cross I’m reconciled

In awe of the cross I must confess
How wondrous
Your redeeming love and
How great is Your faithfulness

©2005 Mercy / Vineyard Publishing (Admin. by Music Services)
All rights reserved. International copyright secured.

Though God’s redemption begins much earlier (with His first move toward us by creating humanity in the first place), it is at the cross -- at the foot of a most-undignified, brutal, and simple machine of execution, stained if not soaked with His blood -- that our new creation-life begins. It’s ultimate shame and glory, all at the same time. It’s where we meet our Savior. But more importantly, it’s where He met us -- where He still meets us today. It’s the peak, the zenith of God’s move toward us, and at the same time the lowest point, the nadir of His descent to humanity -- it is both the depths and the heights to where He went to meet you. He did that. Your friend, your Lord, the One who took something unspeakable from you (shame, sin, guilt, burden of reconciliation, death...) and gave you everything in return (undeserved forgiveness, eternal life, glory and righteousness...).

As weird as it may be for us guys, it’s really the most natural thing in the universe to be in love with that Man named Jesus, our God in flesh. This is the most honorable hero story the universe has ever, and will ever, know. And stories of glory and honor hit us guys right there deep in the heart. Don’t shrug that off. Lost for words and lost in love with our Lord and Savior is the perfect, sweetest, broken place to be -- at the cross. Where He met us.

Guest Blogger, Mike

No comments: