Tuesday, January 2, 2007

New Year's Revolution?

As I was reading a novel last week - Blessed Child by Bill Bright and Ted Dekker - I realized that I was allowing the world to influence my thinking too much and not allowing God nearly enough time. In 2006, I found time to watch TV often enough, but seldom found time for concentrated prayer. I read Bicycling magazine cover to cover the day it arrived, but only read a bit (if any) of Scripture each day. Not a good way to build a relationship with God.

So I decided somewhere in the pages of Bright's and Dekker's tale of faith and seeking God to do just that...to seek God more earnestly...and reduce the world's influence. I have made a commitment to fast from most secular media for the year 2007. I might ocassionally watch something good with my family, but I'm not going to sit for hours by myself soaking in violence and other questionable material. I'm going to spend time in prayer every day. I'm going to read God's word and listen to his voice. I'm also going to read books that push me to grow in my faith. I hope it will revolutionize my life.

Will you join me? Try fasting from secular media for just a week if you don't think you can go for a year. Try it for another week after the first week. Go for a month...or two or three. And with all the time you free up, seek God. Read and watch things that will build you up. Join the revolution.

No comments: