Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Blocked again...

I’m having a terrible time writing my sermon again. Writer’s block is a constant companion to this pastor. Not sure why. I don’t like it. But nearly every week it’s there. I struggle to get started. I get drowsy. I space off. I’m distracted.

I could blame it on my newly acquired diagnosis. “It’s my ADHD!” But as you can see, I can write. I can type letters in the proper sequence to say something. I don’t even need an important topic like salvation to write about. I can blabber on and on about writer’s block and produce two or three paragraphs in a matter of minutes.

So why do I so often come to an impasse when writing a sermon? I’m going to take a wild guess and say, “It’s spiritual warfare.” The devil does not want me to have something new and fresh and God-honoring to say on any given Sunday. He doesn’t want Jesus’ name to be exalted. He doesn’t want the Holy Spirit to change people’s lives. He doesn’t want believers to realize who they really are: God’s children!

So now I’m writing. My fingers and my mind are warmed up. What will I say? What will God say through me? God help me! I’m praying for direction, inspiration, words, power!

No comments: