Monday, November 2, 2009

Confessions of a recovering Pharisee...

It’s confession time. Since I wrote about Nicodemus and gave him a hard time, I've got to come clean. Growing up, I was a Pharisee just like him. I thought myself morally superior to nearly everyone I knew. I was spiritually arrogant. Then Jesus stopped by for a visit one day when I was in college. Through his Holy Spirit, he confronted my pride. He showed me that it was sinful. He convinced me that it was abhorrent. And I repented. I turned away from that sin and cried out for mercy from my Savior. And I received mercy.

“If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” (1 John 1:9, NIV)

So what do I do now when pride tries to reassert itself? I cry out to God for help. I freely confess from the depths of my heart, “I have no hope except in you, Jesus! I am absolutely dependent on your grace for my salvation! I cannot save myself!”

No comments: