Saturday, July 3, 2010

racing down G28

we made it to iowa yesterday and enjoyed a trip to the red rock dam and then a trip to the jersey freeze in monroe. i had a chocolate marshmallow malt. yum!

i woke up around 5:45, rolled out of bed and hopped in the van. i drove to the beginning of marion county road G28 and parked. i pulled out my bike, geared up and headed out.

immediately out of the gate, there's a bit of a climb. this and one other climb slowed me a bit. i dropped down to 12mph on this one. the rest of the hills on the way into pella weren't too bad. i climbed them at 17-20mph.

when i got into town, i had to deal with a bit more of a headwind going south. at the town square, the highway turned again and headed straight toward the pella window factory. a sharp left took me toward the outskirts of town.

the highway's asphalt was awful once the county maintenance took over. i had to avoid holes and ruts. it was not a ton of fun. i made it to the end of business 163 and turned back.

when i got back to the square, i stopped at the smokey row coffee shop where i talked for a bit with my brother-in-law, my brother and nephew who were there for coffee.

at 7:15, we all left the shop and i raced back toward my van. my brother-in-law wasn't sure i could make it back to the house by 8:00 to work hay. i told him i could, so i was hammering it. one dropped me under 14mph. the rest were, once again, over 18mph.

the "boys" passed me just a little before i passed the turn off to my brother's house. i sped down the hill following them and nearly hit a bird just before rolling up and over the last hill and over a small levee to my van. i put the bike in, changed shoes and raced for the house. i pulled in at 7:58. told ya, seth! (27.54 miles @ 17.7mph)

No comments: