Friday, May 7, 2010

41.1mph!

i hit my highest max speed of this year this morning...on a FLAT stretch of road. the wind was unbearable, constant and strong. i did intervals today and going out, pushing as hard as i could, i was going 10mph. i wasn't very happy. then my front derailleur decided it didn't want to work. i couldn't shift to my big ring at all. it took so much effort and so much time getting to the top of drouhard hill that i had to turn around there, a mile short of my original plan.

coming back was much easier. my derailleur magically repaired itself and i bombed down drouhard hill. after a rest, i flew up and around the correction curve. then, when the time was right, i put the hammer down and went for broke. i wanted to see if i could hit 40mph with the wind at my back. i accelerated through the 20s, then the 30s. when i thought i was doing all i could do, i looked down. my computer read 39.8mph. that made me mad enough to accellerate one more time. 41.1mph!

i finished that interval, my last, and heaved a lung while the wind pushed me along. no pedaling. just breathing for about 45 seconds. then the spinning began. i shifted down and let lifted my cadence to 90-100rpm. maybe more. i wasn't counting.

that's how i ended the ride...spinning and at ease. tomorrow will be an easier day followed by rest on sunday. monday, if all goes as planned, is my first century of the year. (11.50 miles @ 14.7mph)

No comments: