Saturday, September 13, 2008

Grade school physics lesson...

Glass breaks when it is heated. That was the lesson my youngest daughter and her friends learned this morning. They wanted scrambled eggs for breakfast, so they pulled out a pan and several glass bowls. They mixed milk with their eggs and placed the bowls and the pan on the four burners of our stove. A little while later they were on the phone.

"Dad! Come quick! There's glass on the stove!"

Puzzled, I headed home. (I wasn't done with my work yet, so I was over at the church.) When I stepped through the front door, I was greeted by the smell of burnt food. I walked straight to the kitchen and found one of my older daughters clearing glass shards from the stove. Soon after my arrival, she stepped on a piece of glass, cutting her foot. I sent everyone who wasn't wearing shoes - that would be everyone but me - out of the kitchen while I cleaned up the mess.

When I was done, I became the girls' science teacher. "Glass is a liquid. It breaks when it is heated because it can't hold its shape. Don't ever put glass of any kind on the stove." End of lesson.

I think they'll remember this one. Now all I have to do is go buy a new set of glass bowls.
Post a Comment