Wednesday, December 17, 2008

On whom do you rely?

"Does being an EMT make you rely more on man's wisdom than on the power of God for healing?"

That's the first question a friend of mine asked of me this morning. It wasn't meant to be spiteful. He just wanted to challenge me, to make me think through the implications of my second job. The questions kept coming.

"Have you laid hands on people and prayed for them in the back of your ambulance?"

I have prayed for nearly every patient under my care as an EMT. I have, on occasion, done so out loud. My training, if anything, has helped me understand better the limitations of man's medical knowledge and skill. God has to work or nothing's going to happen.

"It could lead to ministry."

Yes. It could. I hope and pray that it does more and more. I do know this. I am on friendly terms with many strangers with whom I have only had emergency medical contact.

Enough for now.

No comments: