Wednesday, December 10, 2008

What do you want?

“…the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear. They will turn their ears away from the truth and turn aside to myths.” (2 Timothy 4:3-4, NIV)

Isn't it true that we all seek teachers who will give us what we want?

If we want to be told we're basically good by nature, we'll seek out "basically-good" fluff on Sunday morning. If we want to be told that our particular besetting sin isn't really all that sinful, we'll seek out a "you're-not-all-that-sinful" preacher to tickle our ears. If we want rules, we'll find a legalistic prophet to tell us what to do. If we want to hear the truth, we'll seek out teachers who are committed to truth-telling even when it's unpopular.

So the question I have for you is this: What do you want?

Before you answer that, let me tell you the truth. Only the truth can set you free! Freedom is why I choose to follow Jesus, why I choose to base everything I believe and say on God's Word, why I choose to pursue the truth. I hope you'll join me in pursuing truth and the freedom that comes with it. If you choose not to pursue the truth, if you choose to pursue false teaching for whatever reason, you will remain in bondage to sin. You may find a false sense of security in false teaching, but you will not find freedom.

So now you can answer my question: What do you want?

To receive my once or twice weekly message via email, send a blank email to webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages are available at freegroups.net/groups/webmessage.

No comments: