Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Five hundred forty-eight miles...

My goal every year for the past six years has been to ride an average of 10 miles per day. If you're really good at math, you've already figured out that's 3,650 miles in a year. For the past two years, I haven't quite made that goal. I fell far short in 2008. Didn't even ride half that amount.

This year, I started out on target for a pretty poor showing again. I've only ridden 150 days so far this year out of 335. A couple of months I rode less than 100 miles. That put me way behind.

Something happened in July, I don't know what, that changed everything. I started riding consistently. I rode 15 to 20 miles nearly every day. The total mileage rose quickly. I put in hundreds of miles each month. In August, I logged 695.79 miles. And my average wasn't too shabby either - 18.3mph. In September, I rode 376.94 miles at 19.3mph! Since August 31st, my average speed for the year has been over 18.0.

I am now at just over 3,100 miles. I need just over 548 miles to make my goal. I'm going for it. I need about twenty miles per day. Track my progress at www.dailymile.com/people/openmikey if you like. I need 572 miles in December to make 3,650.

No comments: