Thursday, December 17, 2009

what's in a name?

when i decided to start a cycling blog, it didn't take me ten seconds to decide on a name. why? there's this big black dog that lives about eight miles from my house that haunts my every riding minute when i head west. he's at that point in the ride where i'm either ready to push on for greater mileage or ready to turn around and head back home.

i met him for the first time this year. i'd been riding past this house forever it seemed and never seen a dog. i bet i'd passed by close to a hundred times before, out of no where, comes this black blur of muscle and meanness. i was going about 12mph into a strong headwind at the time, so there was nothing to do, but hope for kindness. i got none from this hound of hell. he barked and snarled and lunged at me numerous times. i tried squirting gatorade at him, my standard trick for distracting dogs. most dogs think i'm marking my territory and stop to smell while i sprint away. not this one.

i survived this first run in and a couple of others since. after one particularly bad 'attack' - the stupid mutt ran with me, lunging, snarling and barking for a half mile! - i dubbed him 'evil dog' in honor of his character.

so 'evil dog bike log' was my first and only idea for this blog's moniker. so be it! may this blog's namesake be hit by an eighteen wheeler! grrrrr.

No comments: