Friday, July 31, 2009

Gefulltes schweine something-or-other...

My wife and I went out to eat for our anniversary tonight in Old Town. They were having a block party celebrating Wichita's commendation as an All-American City. There were supposed to be free movie tickets and free ice cream. We got neither.

The movie tickets were not for everyone. They were prizes in a drawing which we missed.

The ice cream was out and ready when we got there, but we wanted to eat first, so we wandered over the the Imbiss Grille, a German restaurant.

Having never been to a German restaurant, I wasn't sure what to expect. I asked our waitress for her recommendations. She'd tried everything, but especially like the gefulltes schweine something-or-other. (The last word started with a 'K', but it wasn't all on the receipt.) I took her advice and ended up with an interesting Bavarian repast.

Gefulltes schweine something-or-other was a pork cut stuffed with cranberries, raisins, apples and walnuts in a brown sugar sauce and covered with brown gravy. Sounds strange, I know, but it was delicious. Tasted a lot like a meaty apple pie.

Susan had Rinder Liver - beef liver with gravy and bacon.

When we got done, we went looking for ice cream. Gone! So we shopped a bit at the specialty shops in Old Town and then headed west to New Market. There I bought a book, Crazy Love, and some bicycling gloves. I was going to pick up the Emergency: Season Three DVD set, but Borders didn't have it, so I guess my birthday money will go to Amazon once again.

No comments: