Thursday, February 11, 2010

How to pray for pastors...

Let me talk to you about how you can pray the pastors you know.

Pray that we would all deliver God’s Word every time we speak.

Isaiah 55:10-11 says, “As the rain and the snow come down from heaven, and do not return to it without watering the earth and making it bud and flourish, so that it yields seed for the sower and bread for the eater, so is my word that goes out from my mouth: It will not return to me empty, but will accomplish what I desire and achieve the purpose for which I sent it.” (NIV)

No sermon or lesson will be effective in winning the lost, reclaiming the backsliders or sanctifying the believers who come to worship each week unless the words being delivered are God’s words. Only his words accomplish what he desires. Only his words achieve his purposes.

Believe me, keeping personal words, personal opinions, personal thoughts out of sermons and lessons is no easy task. My deepest desire is to speak only God’s words, but sometimes I mess up. Sometimes I speak Mike’s words.

Please pray that your pastors would be delivered from the temptation to say what they want to say rather than what God wants. Pray also that they would be faithful to God’s word so that you can hear God’s words undiluted.

Along with that, pray that every pastor would proclaim boldly what God has given them to say.

In Ephesians 6:19, Paul pleads with the church,
“Pray that I’ll know what to say and have the courage to say it at the right time...”

Friends, let me plead the same on every pastor’s behalf. Pray that we’ll know what to say and have the courage to say it at the right time. The pressure to say the safe thing instead of the right thing is always present. The temptation to tickle ears with people pleasing messages is powerful.

Pray also that your pastors would be given wisdom from God to lead the church.

When God asked Solomon what he wanted more than anything else, he replied, “Give me wisdom and knowledge, that I may lead this people, for who is able to govern this great people of yours?” (2 Chronicles 1:10)

Sometimes I feel the same way about leading the church. “God give me wisdom. I can’t lead this great people of yours.”

Please pray along with me that every pastor would be given God’s direction. Pray that we would have time to talk to and listen to God. And pray that we would hear his voice clearly.

Along with words to deliver and boldness to deliver them and wisdom to lead, pastors need prayers for protection from the evil one.

Satan attacks pastors. He attacks them with discouragement. He attacks them with distraction. He attacks them with disillusionment. He attacks them with whatever it takes to render them useless and ineffective; whatever it takes to make them give up and quit or give in and sin.

There is nothing Satan would like better than for me or some other leader to fall into sin. He knows that if he can knock off a public Christian, he can keep a whole lot of lost people from being saved. He might even be able to destroy the faith of a saint or two. Pray that pastors would be delivered from every attack.

Finally, pray that our every contact with people would bear fruit.

“This is to my Father’s glory,” Jesus said to the twelve one day, “That you bear much fruit, showing yourselves to be my disciples.” (John 15:8)

Fruit bearing still brings glory to God. So pray for each pastor you know. Pray that as they talk with people, some would find salvation. Pray that as they counsel, God would heal hearts. Pray that as they visit the saints, they can bring comfort and encouragement and that as they pray with people, your friends would find courage. Pray that as God’s Word is taught, people’s lives would be changed forever. I’d love it if every contact I had with people, both those inside and outside of this church, produced some kind of lasting fruit. Your pastor and the pastor down the street would love the same thing.

Pray for pastors!

To receive my once or twice weekly message via email, send a blank email to
webmessage-subscribe@associate.com. Past messages are available at freegroups.net/groups/webmessage.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the reminder, sometimes it gets discouraging praying for pastors when you don't always see what's going on. Thank you for the pointers and guidance.