Wednesday, September 8, 2010

a windstorm scorned

what's a guy to do when predicted rain fails to fall? is he supposed to sit behind brick and mortar and wait for the downpour to begin? should he watch the dark clouds forming outside his window while the roads remain dry? conventional wisdom says yes. hang such wisdom. this boy's riding while he can.

when i got off work at 4:00 this afternoon, a quick glance at the radar showed the main body of tropical storm hermine to be halfway across the county, miles from argonia to the south and east. so i suited up and attacked the bully. i punched a hole through the gale she sent to stop me. she spit at me. i spit back...in her eye! that was on the ride out.

i turned at osborn road, over eight miles from home, and laughed at the woman i'd scorned. her angry blast now gave me the power of ten men. i pedaled hard and my average speed climbed quickly. i gained almost three miles per hour in the end, missing the full third mile by only four tenths of a mile per hour.

three miles from argonia, the remnants of the too-late rain that missed me, flew from my tires. i got no wetter than i would have on a humid summer day. the spray cooled my body and allowed me to ride even faster.

my momma always said i shouldn't hit girls. good advice most of the time, but not when the girl's a windstorm one hundred timss the size of your home town. if that's the girl you face, knock her teeth out! (16.48 miles @ 19.2mph)

No comments: