Monday, January 5, 2009

Back in the saddle...

After three months and two days off, I returned to my bike today. The last time I rode (10/03/08) I ended my ride in pain. My back, injured in on an EMS call, screamed bloody murder. It was not pleasant.

I was taking chiropractic treatments at the time. They continued until about three weeks ago, when my schedule was crazy enough that making an appointment would've been a nightmare. My back did all right. It hasn't felt 100%, but it's been worse. I tested it on an EMS call the other night, lifting with my partner. No problems at all. Maybe a little stiffness the next day, but no more.

So what was it like to get back in the saddle after such a long hiatus? Exhilarating and exhausting. I didn't remember there being many hills near Argonia. The two or three I encountered today must have sprung up during my time off. I had no strength for climbing even the slightest of inclines and I had little stamina. I ended up turning around earlier than I really wanted to. My ride was 10.41 miles at 17mph - to the Milan Road and back. Not bad, but not good either.

I look forward to better rides. Tomorrow, I hope.

No comments: