Monday, January 26, 2009

Didn't like him...

A lovely couple in our church, Argus and Melva Joy Pearce, will be celebrating their 70th wedding anniversary next Wednesday. Their family is honoring them with a come-and-go reception at the church on the following Saturday afternoon. Lots of well-wishers will be coming.

I went over to their house today and, because I was pretty sure both of them had grown up in our church, asked a question I'd been dying to have answered.

"Why did you get married in Rose Hill?"

Melva blushed a bit as she answered. "Well, we didn't really like the pastor here at the time," she explained. I laughed. She went on to say that the minister at Rose Hill was a former Argonia Friends pastor whom both of them loved and respected.

So there you have it. That's why two lifelong residents of Argonia and regular attenders at Argonia Friends went to Rose Hill to get married 70 years ago. Pretty funny if you ask me.

No comments: