Tuesday, January 20, 2009

'Seven Pounds' of baloney...

I like Will Smith. Really I do. He's a great actor with lots of great titles to his name. He's made me laugh - MIB I and II. He's made me cry - The Pursuit of Happyness. He's scared me spitless - I Am Legend. Now, he's disturbed me.

I went to see Seven Pounds last Saturday. Smith's acting was superb once again. His characterization spot on. I could've done without the smattering of bad language and the casual sex with a woman he hardly knew, but the story was well told, compelling even. The message behind this movie, however, was troubling.

Smith's character, Ben Thomas, teaches us by his actions during the emotional ending sequence of the film that suicide is commendable if the person taking their own life gives their organs to others. We are told with little subtlety that intentional self-murder, if a man has done enough good to make up for his life's worst mistakes beforehand, is good and right.


I do not wish to inflict pain on those who have family members or friends who have committed suicide. I recognize that this is a thorny issue. There are no easy answers, but telling people that ending it all is the best way to escape the pain of this world is false. The best way to redeem your mistakes is to courageously live for God and for the good of others. Faith in God and love for others is much less selfish than suicide, even if good is done as a result of this awful act.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Well said! Suicide is murder. I'm not saying it can't be covered by the blood of Christ, because most people who do that have some serious problems. But for anyone to give someone a nudge or help rationalize it is like yelling, "Jump!" to someone on a ledge.