Friday, August 14, 2009

Hincapie is in 'The Shack'!

Lance Armstrong has confirmed that he is to reunite with his friend and former team-mate George Hincapie in Team RadioShack in 2010.

Hincapie is currently riding for Team Columbia-HTC and was a strong influence when he helped Armstrong secure his seven Tour de France victories while riding for Team US Postal Service and Team Discovery Channel. "He's already committed. Has been since before we got our funding," Armstrong told Outside Magazine.

Armstrong intends to build his new Team RadioShack – or The Shack as it will be known – around a solid base of riders well-known to him, such as his friend Levi Leipheimer, Hincapie, Chris Horner and Andreas Klöden. Armstrong's impressive network is sure to open doors to additional powerful riders.

Commenting on his 2010 Tour de France prospects, Armstrong told Outside Magazine: "I think we can have a better team [than Alberto Contador, this year's winner with Astana]. But it's not rocket science. You have to avoid mistakes and accidents. To win, I've got to climb at a certain consistent speed, my tempo has to be fast, and I've got to get my time-trial back. I can't accelerate like I did before. And what you saw from Contador this year – I'll never beat that. I wouldn't have beat that before. But, who knows, that might have been the form of a lifetime ... What's important is that we show up and try hard. People understand that I'm an old guy. Nobody expects 2001 again."

Armstrong will compete in the 2009 Leadville 100 mountain bike race tomorrow.

From Guardian.co.uk

No comments: