Monday, April 18, 2011

speed fest

connect.garmin.com/activity/80097056

it was warm and i felt like flying! i pumped my speed up on my way out, fighting the wind. i bowed my head and ground it out. the warm air rushed over my body. it was great to suffer for every hard pedal stroke. i managed a respectable 16.0mph average over 10.03 miles going out.

when i turned around, the easterly wind became my ally. putting the same pressure to the cranks yielded higher and higher speeds. i was over 20mph almost all the time. i kept fighting for every tenth of a mile per hour i could get.

i hit the 15-mile mark of my ride, five miles into my return, in less than 50 minutes i knew something special was in the works. i hammered away at the remaining miles, hitting 19 miles before the clock struck one hour.

when i reached my normal turn off, a truck was coming so i rolled passed the intersection and did a short extra half mile.

i finished the second "half" of my ride, a 10.56-mile speed fest, in 27:18. that put my average for this time trial at 23.2mph! i've never had a second half like that! (20.60 miles @ 19.0mph)

No comments: