Monday, September 17, 2012

20th Street loop...

It took me awhile to get out the door this morning since I needed to take care of the business of notifying the winners of the 100pushups app codes. I posted notes to them everywhere so that when they get up this morning and check in to nearly any social network, they'll be informed.

Once I finally got out the door, I had a fairly decent run. I ran out to Highway 61 with plans to run the dirt roads to the east of town, but when I turned onto the highway I changed my mind and decided to run up to 20th and over to Highway 281.

It was dark this morning. No moonlight at all as far as I could tell, so I was glad for my Knuckle Lights. I'm not sure I would've even been able to see where the edge of the road was without them. The black of the road and the black of the night would've conspired against me.

It was humid too! Whew! I was drenched from head to toe. The relative humidity was at 100%. I was surprised it wasn't foggy! There was a little haze here and there and once or twice I noticed I could see my breath. That was a little weird since that sort of thing is usually reserved for really cold mornings. It was 55!

When I got over to 281 and headed south back into town, I had a brief encounter with the only dog on the highway. It wasn't much of an encounter. He barked a lot in the dark. I ran over to the other side of the road. He quit barking and I ran back over to the left side after I was several dozen yards past his house. If only every dog encounter was that calm.

When I finally made it back into town, I was feeling pretty good. I ran across the railroad tracks and down to School Street. I turned east onto School and ran till I hit 10K at the bottom of the hill. I stopped my watch. I'd missed the skinny kid's time by just seconds. I hate it when that happens. Not that it really matters. I'm way stronger mentally than that kid was.

With my running done, I walked the rest of the way home. It was nice to cool down strolling along the bricks and asphalt.

With less than two months till my 100-miler I know I'm going to have to get in some longer runs, but for now I'll just be happy with how good this short one felt. The misery will come in the next few weeks. Ugh! (garmin data)

1 comment:

Erik Ammon said...

Mmmmm...a 100 miler...Someday for me. Goal for now and the next year is to stay healthy. I love running in the dark- I use Knuckle Lights, too- they are awesome!! So much better than a head lamp bouncing on my head. Thanks again for having the 100 Push-Up ap contest!!