Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Long time, no ride...

My poor road bike. It has been neglected for so long. When I went to take it down off its hooks this morning, it's tires were so deflated. I felt like a terrible master. How could I let this happen. I lovingly connected the lifeline to each presta valve and breathed air into the sagging tubes. The bike immediately revived. It went from droopy to dashing in seconds! "Woohoo!" I shouted as I swung my leg over the saddle and rolled down the street.

The wind was in my face, but the bike didn't care. It cruised down the highway, enjoying freedom, shaking the cobwebs off. By the time we made it to the edge of town, it was ready to rock! The smooth new pavement on Highway 54 made it sing!

My original plan was to ride thirty minutes out and then turn around and come back. When we got to eight miles, the bike nixed that idea. He wanted more! He begged and whined and I gave in. "Just this once," I said. "We'll do a couple more miles." We sped on toward Cullison, ten miles out.

After the turn around, I gave it full gas. My bike and I ripped up the asphalt! Until we got back to town, I didn't see anything under 20mph. (Of course, I couldn't see anything over that most of the time either. It was DARK!!) When I thought I was climbing a hill, the bike said, "What hill? You call that a hill?!" It laughed derisively.

When we hit West River Road, we slowed a bit to cool down. We were still over 18mph most of the time. The wind blew us along. What fun!

We made it back home, my bike and me. Happy! Satisfied! Couldn't ask for anything better! (garmin data)

No comments: