Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I love lizards...

My friend Thane works for an ad agency. Their website is hilarious...sort of. Their motto is: "We hate sheep!" Their explanation: "The people of [SHS*] hate sheep because they remind us of marketing that follows instead of leads. Communication that blends in."

Anyway, I got an email from buddy Thane with this disclaimer...

"We hate sheep. We also detest needless disclaimers. Our attorneys, however, inform us that the following mouse type is essential for protecting our bacon. And we love bacon. So make yourself comfortable, and let's get this over with. This email and any attachments may contain confidential and privileged information. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately by return email, delete this email and destroy any copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than the intended recipient is unauthorized and may be illegal."

That got me to thinking randomly. Hmm. What kind of disclaimer do I need for my email and blog messages? Here's what I came up with...

"I love lizards. I also enjoy a needless disclaimer or two per day. They make me smile. My attorney - I don't really have one - has informed me that the following small print is necessary to save my "lizard" skin, so here goes. This email (or blog post) and any attachments (or comments) may contain crazy and entirely random information. If you are not able to deal with nuttiness, please do not read what I have written. You may notify the sender (that's me) by return email that you think I'm absolutely insane. I don't care. I love lizards. You may delete this email and destroy any copies if you want...or you may disseminate it freely. You don't have to be authorized to do so. I doubt it's illegal."

(The art work is mine. The original scan of the rubber lizard that sits on my desk at work is at the top. The other two are digital "remixes" of the same images. I use them as desktop wallpaper all the time.)

*I left out the name of the company in case they don't like people quoting them. SHS would be an accurate abbreviation of their name.

No comments: