Monday, June 11, 2007

No chain...

Legend has it that when George Hincapie was having an especially good day during the Tour de France, he'd look at buddy Lance and, with a smile, say, "No chain!" Huh? What he meant - I read about these things - is that he felt so strong it was like there was no chain, no resistance. He was ready to push the other teams to their limit.

If I had a buddy, I would've turned to him today and said, "No chain!" I felt ridiculously strong today. I knew it was going to be a good day from the moment I left the driveway at 5:40 this morning. My legs responded when I asked them to sprint up to speed and they kept giving all ride long. I rode just over 15 miles at 18.9mph. (Remember this is with a heavy bike, almost a mountain bike.) My average heart rate was a low 156bpm. It was a blast. Too bad I didn't have anyone to share it with.

"P.J., my friend, where are you? I've got no chain!"

No comments: