Thursday, July 31, 2008

Away...

I'm going away with my wife for a day or two.

The kids are being farmed out to grandparents. They'll have a blast. When we meet up with them, they'll have stories to tell. What they did. How they kept busy.

My wife and I will be happy for them. We'll be better able to enter into their joy because we've been away, all by ourselves. We'll have had carefree conversations, unhurried walks and the like. We'll have shared closeness like we did when we were first dating. I like my wife. I love being with her at home. I like being away with her even more. The time is fast approaching. I'm going away!

I need to get away with God once in awhile. I need to get alone with him. If I don't do that from time to time, I don't have the energy to enter into my friend's life, my brother's happiness, my sister's sorrow. It's been awhile since I've retreated from the world to be with God in solitude. I need it. I sense that. Maybe soon, I'll take the time. Maybe tomorrow I'll obey his voice as he calls.

"Come to me all you who are weary and heavy laden and I will give you rest."

What about you? Are you finding it more and more difficult to really be with the people you're with? Do you need time away? One on one with your wife? Face to face with your husband? Over coffee with a friend? In a quiet place with God?

Go...get away.

No comments: