Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Sabbath...

God told the people of Israel to, "Remember the Sabbath day by keeping it holy." He said, "Six days you shall labor and do all your work, but the seventh day is a Sabbath to the Lord your God. On it you shall not do any work..." (See Exodus 20:8-11 for the full text.)

Rob Bell (Velvet Elvis) woke me up to what the command is really all about...

"Sabbath is taking a day a week to remind myself that I did not make the world and that it will continue to exist without my efforts.

"Sabbath is a day when my work is done, even if it isn't.

"Sabbath is a day when my job is to enjoy. Period.

"Sabbath is a day when I am fully available to myself and those I love most.

"Sabbath is a day when I remember that when God made the world, he saw that it was good.

"Sabbath is a day when I produce nothing.

"Sabbath is a day when I remind myself that I am not a machine.

"Sabbath is a day when at the end I say, 'I didn't do anything today,' and I don't add, 'And I feel so guilty.

"Sabbath is a day when my phone is turned off, I don't check my email, and you can't get ahold of me." (p. 118)

Do you need a Sabbath? Rest in the Lord sometime this week.

No comments: