Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Praying for patients...

As an EMT...

There are limits to what I can do medically for my patient on any given call. I can monitor his vital signs, administer oxygen, work to stop bleeding, assist breathing and a few other things. If I'm driving, I can drive quickly and safely to the hospital so he can get more advanced care. I joke with friends, telling them, "We put oxygen on people and drive really fast."

As a follower of Jesus...

I can do much more to care for my patient. I can bring God to the scene and into the ambulance. I can quietly plead for God's help and wisdom and protection - both for myself and my partners. I can silently ask for mercy and healing for every person under our care. I pray regularly for my patients when I'm called out to an emergency. (I've only prayed out loud with one person.) I pray for my friends when I'm not able to go with them to the scene.

As an EMT/follower of Jesus...

I urge you to pray to God when you hear sirens. Pray for the EMTs and their patients. Pray for firefighters who put their lives on the line to save people and property. And pray for the police as they serve the public. On behalf of all public safety officers, I thank you now for your support.

No comments: